A Special Thanks... and a look back at 2017
31 Dec 2017
As the year draws to a close, we'd like to take a moment to thank you, our readers for another wonderful year. In 2017, we saw a 50% increase in our readership compared to last year!
We've had an increasing number of contributors as well that have helped us towards our mission of helping English-speakers live happy, healthy and prosperous lives in Shenzhen. We've also been fortunate enough to partner with a growing number of local businesses and supporters to help bring great events to the community, and continue to grow our free community directory and newsletters that share English-Language news and resources.
We'd also like to extend a special thanks to the Shekou Angels, members of an exclusive program started in August of this year, who have also contributed greatly, not only in providing some much needed financial support, but also in helping to spread the word about what we do here at ShekouDaily.
We look forward to continuing on with our mission together with you and making 2018 another great year here in Shenzhen! If you're going out tonight, please be sure to check out these important tips and notice we've received from the police.
In case you missed them, we thought we'd compile a list of a few of the top stories of the year. Take care, stay safe and we wish you happy, healthy and prosperous 2018!
Year of the Crackdowns
2017 may go down has the year of the crackdowns here in Shenzhen. Outdoor seating at some of our favorite bars, cafes and restaurants has seen a serious decline this year. Although the crackdown on casual outdoor seating started in late 2016, the biggest effects were seen this year. Aside from one business who has already announced they're leaving Coastal Rose Garden 2 due to this, it seems most of the businesses are still doing alright; however, the area does now often look like abandoned ghost town compared to the vibrant scenes of the past.
One of the biggest losers this year may arguably be e-bike riders. 2017 saw massive crackdowns on those operating motorized bikes throughout Shekou. and it doesn't look like this will let up in 2018. Like the outdoor seating issue, this also started in late 2016; however, 2017 saw periods were confiscations were happening on almost a daily basis. For a while ShekouDaily was posting articles each time we heard that police were out confiscating e-Bikes somewhere; however, it had gotten so common that we decided to start a WeChat group instead and stopped posting directly to the ShekouDaily platform. If you're interested in joining this group to receive notifications, please contact us and we'll add you.
In 2016, a massive operation was launched by the immigration department to get foreigners to register their addresses, as required by law. There was somewhat of an amnesty period given where fines were either not given or they were very low. In 2017, however, fines were firmly in place and immigration was out confronting un-registered foreigners or those working illegally:
- Startling Door-to-Door Immigration Checks Worry Residents
- Police Raids Across Shenzhen Nab Multiple Foreigners
- Registration Requirements and Fines for Foreigners
- Police Checking Foreigner's Registration AGAIN in Shekou
When Shenzhen Bay Port opened, it added a whole new level of convenience for us here in Shekou to visit Hong Kong. In 2017, unfortunately, some of that convenience disappeared as checkpoints between Shenzhen and Hong Kong added restrictions forcing people out of vehicles when crossing the border.
- Passengers Now Forced to Exit Vehicles at Shenzhen Bay Port
- New Restriction Forces Passengers out of Cars at Hong Kong Border
Many of the recently crackdowns on businesses may be a direct result of the many fires we've seen this year. Luckily, no one was serious injured in these fires; however, they definitely drew plenty of attention. One complex, Milan Apartments, saw two fires there this year!
- BREAKING NEWS: Apartment Building Fire in Shekou
- BREAKING NEWS: Fire in the Peninsula 2 Apartment Complex in Shekou
- Fire at RenRenLe Supermarket on GongYuan Nanlu in Shekou, Shenzhen
- Apartment Fire Causes Saturday Morning Evacuation in Shekou
- Second Fire in a Year at Milan Apartment Complex in Shekou
Some Good News too!
Of course, 2017 wasn't all about crackdowns, fire and bad news. There's been plenty of good stuff too! Here's a list of a few of them:
- Dr. Zac Morse, expat dentist formerly only in Futian, opened a clinic here in Shekou
- FUBAR BrewPub opened in March bringing us freshly brewed craft beers and a unique environment
- Jacques and Maggie came down from LiJiang to bring new life to George & Dragon
- A new Service Center, the first of its kind in China, opened to help us foreigners with various issues we may face while living in China
- Two new museums opened, the Maritime Museum and the Sea World Culture and Arts Center
- The new Binhai Promenade finished construction, giving us many awesome new outdoor scenic spots
- The famous Nanhai Hotel re-opened after a long period of remodeling
- The Film Industry Design Exhibition chose Shekou as the place to share some cool movie memorabilia and props
- The New Shekou Cruise Center started offering low cost cruises and even a short Boat Tour of Shenzhen Bay
- And of course, who can forget the story of an expat who jumped in to save a life! Surely the fact that he was stabbed multiple times isn't good news but you know what I mean.
Aside from all that, we also had plenty of fun! So many in fact, that we can't list them all; however, here are a few:
- Free Family Moving Outing at the IMAX
- Summer-End Party at the new Hammock Bar & Restaurant that opened in August
- ShekouDaily's Summer-End BBQ at Eden Garden and the first family BBQ there as well
- The Trick or Treating Trail on the loooong Halloween weekend
- ShekouDaily's 3-Year Anniversary Party at Terrace
- Synthetic Project Performance at X-TA-SEA's 15 Year Anniversary Party
Join us for a delicious and fully loaded, all-you-can-eat Christmas Dinner Buffet on Christmas Eve! If you prefer to enjoy Christmas Dinner at home? Or need catering to your workplace? Call us and we'll prepare for you a delicious Christmas turke...
at X-TA-SEA Sports Bar & Restaurant
Recent Articles more articles
If you would like to learn whisky in a systemic and relaxing way, you are in the right place.
On Friday, November 30th, we had the last in our series of Movember Podcasts at SWIS. We were joined in the studio by Quinton from Artisans Pizza who sponsored lunch for the Movember Crew at SWIS today. Gary from ShekouDaily also joined us in the...
This Monday, December 3rd, be the first to find out who the winners of That's Shenzhen's '2018 That's Food & Drink Awards' are. Join this fantastic event at the Shangri-La and support your favorite venues! Check out the official event promotion below