Self-Combusting Chargers Force Recall by Shenzhen Supplier
06 Nov 2019
Imagine waking up to a fire right next to your bed. What would you do? This horrifying experience happened to a female college student in Foshan, Guangdong Province, in the early morning hours of October 30th, after she left her phone charging, using an external portable battery charger, on the nighstand next to her bed. Luckily, her roommate saw the fire before it got out of control and put it out by dousing it with water.
The incident has caused widespread concern and the recall of two models of portable battery chargers in question.
On November 4th, 深圳罗马仕科技有限公司召回 filed a recall plan with the State Administration of Markets, and recalled 2 batches of their OM10 mobile power charger; totally 3,792 pieces.
The recall announcement states that this device has a risk of overheating, because the battery cells used during the assembly process, the caps interfere with the core, and some products are not tested for aging.
The OM10 mobile power supply (white 10,000 mAh with a round display) was produced from June 1, 2018 to June 20, 2018 and April 15, 2019 to April 17, 2019.
On November 5th, staff of the company said that the self-combusting charger of the Foshan female college student does indeed belong to them; however, it is not yet known whether it is the same model or among the same batch that is being recalled.
The company said that it will carry out defective product recall and safety technology improvement work, improve product quality and safety levels, and carry out return refund service for customers free-of-charge to eliminate potential safety hazards.
Located in the high-tech zone of Nanshan District, Shenzhen, the company designs and sells intelligent power devices. From December 2015 to December 2017, they were penalized three times by local authorities for pricing issues and for the sale of unqualified products.
This isn't the first time we've seen problems with batteries and chargers.
At 1 p.m., on the afternoon of June 14, a phone charger suddenly exploded while in the pant pocket of a food delivery man. The trousers pocket was blown out (pictured above) and the man's thigh was wounded.
At 9:20 a.m., on August 6th, passengers in a subway train on the No. 3 subway line to Yitian began to panic (pictured below) when a charger in the bag of one of the passengers began to smoke. Luckily, the metro staff quickly rushed in and extinguished the smoking bag with a fire extinguisher and there were no casualties.
Portable battery chargers are generally composed of lithium batteries. The chemical nature of lithium is very active. When it encounters a short circuit, high temperatures, extrusion and impact, it can very easy cause chemical reaction, high temperature, fire, and even explosion.
If you suspect your charger or batteries have been damaged in any way, don't risk it. Get rid of them at the appropriate disposal bins immediately and find yourself a new one.
Think you know it all! Prove it at G&D’s Pub Quiz! Beat your opponents and the clock! Every Thursday at 8pm we’ll be firing questions at you and your friends to show off your vast trivia knowledge.
at George and Dragon British Pub
FREE Law Consulting Services Is Launching at NSIC! Appointment is required, and the servic...
at Nanshan International Cultural Exchange & Service
Every 1st and 3rd Friday of the month
Recent Articles more articles
POSTPONED! Keep posted for the new date! …. This vibrant community event is a gathering of leading names in Shenzhen and Guangdong wellness, nutrition, beauty and fitness, with 30+ businesses and organizations represented May 29th at Vista-SK.
The largest White Collar Boxing Event ever in China was held last Saturday, December 12th, at Gateway One Commercial Plaza in SeaWorld Shekou, Shenzhen. The Fight, which was the first ever open air public event of its kind, was organized by Miki...